This recipe is adapted from “Reboot with Joe” site. Makes 4 servings.
2 Kabocha Squash
1 1/2 tsp. Sea, Kosher or Himalayan Salt
1 1/2 tsp. Fresh Ground Black Pepper
6-8 Tbsp. Olive Oil
4-8 Garlic Cloves, minced or pressed
2 Large Portabella Mushrooms, chopped
2 medium onions
2 medium leeks
4-6 tsp. Fresh Sage, finely chopped
Pinch Red Pepper Flakes
1. Preheat oven to 450˙
2. Trim off ends of squash if necessary
3. Slice squash in half (to make two “bowls”)
4. Scoop out seeds and pulp (I like using an ice cream scoop)
5. Brush each half with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper
6. Arrange cut sides down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
7. Roast squash until tender and edges are brown (approx. 30-40 minutes)
8. While squash is roasting, heat remaining olive oil in pan (med. high heat)
9. Sauté garlic, onions and leeks until translucent
10. Add mushrooms, sage and red pepper flakes and sauté until mushrooms soften
11. Pull roasted squash out of oven, flip over and fill with mushroom mixture
12. Return filled squash to the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
Variations: I’ve used shiitake mushrooms in addition to or instead of the portabellas. Shallots would also be a nice addition to this.